Wednesday, February 9, 2011

BLOG #3

The first artist I researched was Martin Creed. There were many different things that interested me in Creed's work, however I was really drawn to him because of the variety of his work. According to his website, "In recent years Creed has worked on music, dance, writing, sculpture and painting: pieces ranging from compositions for symphony orchestra and music for elevators to architectural commissions, public monuments and dance and performances which combine classical ballet with talk, music, film and animation." I also chose to look at Creed's work because he focuses on uncertainty as a theme at times in his work, which is my big idea. The website explains, "His laconic and ironic art is always puzzling and makes us question what the author meant. ‘I feel that people may interpret my work as they like it. I don’t think I should explain anything to them,’ says the artist." and, "Creed’s work is all-encompassing and seems to seek both to reassure and to confound expectations: ‘Trying to do what you want to do, trying to be free and trying not to do what other people want you to do. If you can do that, it’s amazing,' says Creed."

I think that I find the minimalism of Creed's work most intriguing. He works with the readymade style sometimes and takes regular objects and makes them art in his own way. I also just like the simplicity and bold style of his painting pieces.

When it comes to my final project, I think I will use the same approach as Creed when it comes to the questions I ask before and as I create my work. I also may try to implement Creed's bold and simple style.


 Work no. 1109, 2011, Martin Creed
Work no. 1098, 2001 Martin Creed



This piece above is from an exhibition called "Numbers" showed November 4-December 5, 2020 by Martin Creed
http://www.mmoma.ru/en/exhibitions/petrovka/martin_krid_chisla/
http://www.hauserwirth.com/exhibitions/812/martin-creed-mothers/view/

What I really like about Steven Peters is that he was not a digital artist to begin with, but a musician. I am having a hard time grasping whether or not Peters has a big idea. Honestly I feel like he creates just for the enjoyment of it. But I feel like there might be some meaning behind this statement I found on his website, "Doing something creative for this charity event was the catalyst which started me on my journey towards creating more original artwork, which share a bold palette of colors, merging eclectic styles of art with photography and digital artistry with a whimsical re-design of nature." I find the playfulness of his work to be interesting, and his pieces remind me a lot of advertisements. He says on his website that he is often inspired by the scenery in his home state of Florida, but I don't see that influence in some of his other images, so I do question his inspiration in his other pieces. I am hoping to really channel some of Peter's creativity and fun in my final project. I also think it is a good idea to look to my surroundings for inspiration! Unfortunately, the work of Steven Peter's that I found to be the most interesting wasn't easy to obtain legally, so these are some of his other pieces that portray his fun colorful style that resembles advertising to me. Also, I love "Clueberries & Dreams." I think I would maybe like to implement that style of having something focused and strong and the background kind of be crazy like that.

 Daisy World - Steven Peters
 Clueberries & Dreams - Steven Peters
Kaleidescope Man - Steven Peters

http://www.stevenpetersart.com/index.html

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your review and take on my work. My current works can be found on Fine Art America at

    http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/steven-peters.html

    Again, thank you for the inclusion of my art and commentary.

    Best,
    Steven Peters

    ReplyDelete