Friday, February 25, 2011

Blog #4

Part 1: Rough Draft of Artist Statement

I have decided to continue with the big idea of Uncertainty. I feel like there are plenty more themes and topics that relate to uncertainty and can be further explored. Right now, I am really drawn to the idea of Age and Uncertainty. Maybe I could do a project on the Age of Uncertainty. I think that the age of a person can obviously play a huge part in their life and the direction they are headed. On the surface, the theme I would like to explore for my final project may not seem clearly related to uncertainty or even my past exploration of being lost and fearful. However, I think that if the ideas are given more thought, the connections can really become apparent. As for the visual strategy, I would love to continue with the seemingly bold and simplistic style. I want to create something that isn't cluttered, but contains certain levels of complexity. That might be contradictory though, because age can be a messy subject and is a pretty confusing concept to come to terms with. If I can find a way to portray that conflict in a concise way, that would be ideal. Maybe I could explore how people think they know who they are and how their age affects them but then study the conflict they are feeling inside about it all. I honestly am not sure what context the work could be used. Maybe it could just be a picture in a self help book for people who are completely confused about their life. The caption underneath could say, "Does this picture sort of describe how you are feeling right now?" That's kind of ridiculous though.

Part 2: Three visuals/material that have influenced your work for the final

Gabriel Orozco is one contemporary artist who I find inspiring. I think his work is a perfect example of something that appears overly simplistic, but really took a lot of time and effort. In some cases his work is really too simplistic, but there is always a lot of substantial thought behind what he does.
You might not know this by looking at it, but, Orozco cut this car, and put it back together and reconstructed it in a physical and mechanical way!

 Horses Running Endlessly, 1995. This piece is metaphorical for life, and it represents "thinking between the big picture and the big scale," according to Orozco
Black Kites, 1997. This is graphite on a skull! It took Orozco 6 months. He was analyzing, "How we perceive volume and tri-dimensionality, and in the end, how we perceive truth, through filters of light and dark."
I know this is sort of unhelpful but I was unable to find a link to a very interesting article I read by Gabriel Orozco, co written by Susan Collins. It really explains his work and ideas in more depth.

Another artist that I am inspired by is Trenton Hancock. His work, shown above, is not really simplistic. In fact, it is very busy. However, I really admire this artist's originality and creativity. if anything, i hope to implement the same whimsical quality he has in his artwork. I also find a lot of his work to be strange and unnerving, which can relate to age and uncertainty. There's more explanation of this artist at this link. http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/hancock/

Finally, a third artist that I ended up turning to was Francis Bacon. What really drew me to this painter was his exploration of human faces. I find the way he distorts these portraits very interesting. Especially when you pair the idea with uncertainty. I think the Bacon's work shows a side of torment to people being unsure of their own identity or age.

Part 3:  One new photoshop technique that will hopefully be incorporated into final

I found a lot of really amazing techniques on worth1000.com. One of which was making people look much older or much younger, which I think would be appropriate in a project concerning age.
But I don't know if I want to limit myself to only learning that technique. I'm almost positive I'll end up changing my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment